Monday, June 6, 2011

Imaginary Airship

Hooray!
Imaginary Airship is in the studio. This last weekend, Jonathan recorded all the drums for the album. amazing! and Josh and David did some scratch keys and bass. I think some video was taken, too... so stay tuned for that.

Here's some live tracks to listen to while you read: on Facebook (you may have to scroll down a little - PS: Expert opinion has been stuck in my head so much lately.) oh, yeah they're from Someday Lounge and then mixed by Mike.

Just some words about IA...
I've been friends with Jonathan for at least 4 years? and through him i met tons more friends who have had a big creative influence on me. He also helped me record my album and helped add more to my songs. It's been great to hear Imaginary Airship demo songs, be at the first cd release show, go to shows, see the band in different line-ups, sing occasionally with them on certain songs at shows, and talk with the guys about musical dreams (like putting stuff on vinyl, music videos, documentaries, etc.)

There are certain people who just understand music, and know how to get sounds they want, and Jonathan is one of them. When he helped record for the Upsidedown Cat album, and even playing a few shows with Upsidedown Cat it's just amazing how fast he picks up on the chords, but also like the expression of the song.

The most recent Imaginary Airship show that I saw at Someday Lounge was amazing. (see link above to listen to the songs) After the show, I think we all agreed that it was because Jonathan was back to doing what he loves best: Playing drums and singing at the same time. Also, I think it's really important that this line up is a really good one, including long-time friends, and I just feel like there's no stopping them now. I can't wait to see how these songs develop on the recordings. And Sound Ghost has learned a lot (and gotten more gear) since they recorded Imaginary Airship's first album (which was a really good album anyway). I love how seamlessly they transition from ragtime, to 60s/70s-esque.

As a friend, and fellow musical collective member, I am soo excited for this album, because it's been a while, and I know it will be really good. I don't know what all the songs are on the album...but i have the feeling it will be the kind of album where each song is amazing.

Watching them record drums on saturday night, I just realized how well practiced they are, and how as far as i can tell, this album may be recorded pretty quickly.
anyway, sorry I'm sort of rambling on this post, but I'm excited and I hope you are too. I don't know yet if I'll get to sing on the album (haha) but I'll probably make it on there somehow. Which is part of what the whole musical collective is about.

more about the album later...

also sorry for no pictures, for some reason mine aren't loading.

No comments:

Post a Comment